Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Taking Wings for an Evening


This would be - leftovers.  Let me tell you about these leftovers.   “ Mmmmmmm…. ! “  Amazing memory about where they came from!

My husband took me out of my cage last night.  He decided to take me out on a date!  He took me out to dinner.  And - He decided to surprise me - with a really - really - fantastic surprise!

But first - I gotta go back in time a little bit.

I remember a particular Mother’s Day - 2008.  Dwayne and Jen took me out to dinner at my most favorite restaurant.  And we were shocked.  It was - closed down.

We opted for Olive Garden in Turkey Creek - which turned out to be a humongous mistake.  Haven’t been back since.  It was like trying to eat dinner on the 50-yard sideline at a UT VOLS football game - inside Neyland Stadium - with a packed house - and the band playing “ Rocky Top “ - right behind us.

It would have been worth cooking the same thing - at home.

But then again - it just might have been worth the 31-mile drive - all the way to Pigeon Forge - to eat at that location of my favorite restaurant.

Back to last night -

The only thing Dwayne had offered up for information about where we'd be having dinner was - “ It’s a place in Turkey Creek! “  And I’m thinking - “ Has one of the guys told him about one of the places in that maize that we’ve never tried before?  Or - is he even daring to try Olive Garden - again? “

Knowing Dwayne as well as I do - it was easy to shut out the latter thought.  My husband does tend to value his time - money - and his appetite - when it comes to blending all three.

We get to Lovell Road.  Dwayne gets into the left-hand lane.  Immediately - confusion meets with concern in my mind.  One must turn right - onto Parkside Drive - to even get to Turkey Creek.

“ Baby… weren’t you supposed to turn right there? “

“ We’re not going that way.  Guess where we’re going. Can you see it? “

Common sense has me looking forward - straight ahead.  And then - something catches my eye - pulling me toward the left side.

A neon red sign - “ Carino’s “  shines brightly.  It’s turned - ON !!  There are cars in the parking lot!!  I struggle until I see - lamps and people - inside the building!!

“ Oh, my God!!  Johnny Carino’s!!  They opened back up!!! “

The location at Lovell Road in Knoxville for Johnny Carino's had closed down when business fell as soon as Olive Garden opened in Turkey Creek.  I said - even back then - after our nightmare of an experience at Olive Garden - " They should have waited long enough to see how all the chaos would drive everybody away from Olive Garden! "

Those leftovers I showed you - up above.  Those are remains from the Calamari - and our very favorite appetizer - Sicilian Fire Sticks !!  Oh…. They are just - absolutely - fabulous!!

" Tomato-basil tortillas rolled with a delicious blend of Italian sausage, chicken, bacon, tomatoes, jalapenos, and Italian cheeses served with our spicy marinara and ranch. "

We started with our appetizers.  They were followed by salads - hot Italian bread dipped in their wonderful hot olive oil infused with red pepper and other spices!  And then came our entrees.  I had the Chicken Penne Gorgonzola.  Dwayne had the Spicy Shrimp and Chicken.

Oh... and the Calamari - I got Dwayne to try the Calamari - finally!

I love Calamari!  I love to make it at home.  And I have a recipe for my own choice of dipping sauce!

It was wonderful!  We ate until we were miserable!  It was wonderful!  We brought home doggy bags!

Did I tell you it was wonderful??

It was so wonderful that - we needed a walk - afterwards.  We went to - PetsMart - final half of - our date !

I know - kinda makes you think about the scenes in movies where the new mom goes out on a date for the first time after having a baby.  We're just - pitiful that way.

We had fun picking out a new harness for Carlie.  We found training treats for Carlie - which we considered would end up being - a must share - with Zucker - no doubt.




And then - we had fun picking out some Bling and watching it being made!  It has our address and phone number on the back, as well.  And we chose a simple piece for now - until she grows and becomes a little more docile.

Trust me - ’ Docile ’ - is a precious word - thought of like a wish under this roof at the moment!


The harness Carlie is wearing in this video was the first one Zucker wore as a 14 week old puppy.   We had to take it off of Carlie after one week - the day she turned 9 weeks old!

No comments:

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Taking Wings for an Evening


This would be - leftovers.  Let me tell you about these leftovers.   “ Mmmmmmm…. ! “  Amazing memory about where they came from!

My husband took me out of my cage last night.  He decided to take me out on a date!  He took me out to dinner.  And - He decided to surprise me - with a really - really - fantastic surprise!

But first - I gotta go back in time a little bit.

I remember a particular Mother’s Day - 2008.  Dwayne and Jen took me out to dinner at my most favorite restaurant.  And we were shocked.  It was - closed down.

We opted for Olive Garden in Turkey Creek - which turned out to be a humongous mistake.  Haven’t been back since.  It was like trying to eat dinner on the 50-yard sideline at a UT VOLS football game - inside Neyland Stadium - with a packed house - and the band playing “ Rocky Top “ - right behind us.

It would have been worth cooking the same thing - at home.

But then again - it just might have been worth the 31-mile drive - all the way to Pigeon Forge - to eat at that location of my favorite restaurant.

Back to last night -

The only thing Dwayne had offered up for information about where we'd be having dinner was - “ It’s a place in Turkey Creek! “  And I’m thinking - “ Has one of the guys told him about one of the places in that maize that we’ve never tried before?  Or - is he even daring to try Olive Garden - again? “

Knowing Dwayne as well as I do - it was easy to shut out the latter thought.  My husband does tend to value his time - money - and his appetite - when it comes to blending all three.

We get to Lovell Road.  Dwayne gets into the left-hand lane.  Immediately - confusion meets with concern in my mind.  One must turn right - onto Parkside Drive - to even get to Turkey Creek.

“ Baby… weren’t you supposed to turn right there? “

“ We’re not going that way.  Guess where we’re going. Can you see it? “

Common sense has me looking forward - straight ahead.  And then - something catches my eye - pulling me toward the left side.

A neon red sign - “ Carino’s “  shines brightly.  It’s turned - ON !!  There are cars in the parking lot!!  I struggle until I see - lamps and people - inside the building!!

“ Oh, my God!!  Johnny Carino’s!!  They opened back up!!! “

The location at Lovell Road in Knoxville for Johnny Carino's had closed down when business fell as soon as Olive Garden opened in Turkey Creek.  I said - even back then - after our nightmare of an experience at Olive Garden - " They should have waited long enough to see how all the chaos would drive everybody away from Olive Garden! "

Those leftovers I showed you - up above.  Those are remains from the Calamari - and our very favorite appetizer - Sicilian Fire Sticks !!  Oh…. They are just - absolutely - fabulous!!

" Tomato-basil tortillas rolled with a delicious blend of Italian sausage, chicken, bacon, tomatoes, jalapenos, and Italian cheeses served with our spicy marinara and ranch. "

We started with our appetizers.  They were followed by salads - hot Italian bread dipped in their wonderful hot olive oil infused with red pepper and other spices!  And then came our entrees.  I had the Chicken Penne Gorgonzola.  Dwayne had the Spicy Shrimp and Chicken.

Oh... and the Calamari - I got Dwayne to try the Calamari - finally!

I love Calamari!  I love to make it at home.  And I have a recipe for my own choice of dipping sauce!

It was wonderful!  We ate until we were miserable!  It was wonderful!  We brought home doggy bags!

Did I tell you it was wonderful??

It was so wonderful that - we needed a walk - afterwards.  We went to - PetsMart - final half of - our date !

I know - kinda makes you think about the scenes in movies where the new mom goes out on a date for the first time after having a baby.  We're just - pitiful that way.

We had fun picking out a new harness for Carlie.  We found training treats for Carlie - which we considered would end up being - a must share - with Zucker - no doubt.




And then - we had fun picking out some Bling and watching it being made!  It has our address and phone number on the back, as well.  And we chose a simple piece for now - until she grows and becomes a little more docile.

Trust me - ’ Docile ’ - is a precious word - thought of like a wish under this roof at the moment!


The harness Carlie is wearing in this video was the first one Zucker wore as a 14 week old puppy.   We had to take it off of Carlie after one week - the day she turned 9 weeks old!

No comments: