It became so cold in this house yesterday - enough that the EdenPur heater and the two space heaters could not keep up. Actually - you’re supposed to keep your main heat set to pick up the slack if inside temps reach sixty-five degrees. But I’m too stubborn to run that gas central heat unit - period.
This gas fireplace was here when we purchased the home. We’ve concluded that it was a new addition put into place for the purpose of getting the house sold. That stinky smell of “newness” burning off was more than obvious during the couple of times we attempted to light it up. Even worse - it made breathing impossible. I had to get a pot of water boiling on the stove to help put moisture back into the house.
You never realize how much moisture logs can hog up! Keeping the pot of water going on the stove has become part of the routine now.
At any rate - I just don’t like the thing. It’s expensive - “says the frugal gardener!”
Okay… so, the fireplace is not expensive. The price they slap down for the natural gas is what’s ridiculous and outrageous!
Same goes for the odor. It’s just not the same. Nothing beats the smell of a nice dried split of burning oak during cold winter temperatures!
But the wood-burning stove on our Honey-Do List never made it to the top last year.
He’s such a Bed Hog!
We’ve conceded to loving him just as he is. Even his new Christmas present won’t keep him from trying to shove us out of our Queen-size bed every night!
Either way - believe it or not - I’m glad things worked out the way they did. Because - let me tell you something. Baby - it has been cold outside - enough to make me cave in!
The irony in this - Loudon Utilities sent a guy out last week to check our gas lines - and find out why there had been “0” (zero) usage for the past year. LOL
Our normal average temperatures for this time in the year run in the 40’s. Did I mention - it is only 19* outside right this moment?